Dear Adobe

January 08, 2010

In the spirit of Dear Adobe, I submit the following two minute Photoshop gripe:

As a sanity-check before posting I put this video out on Twitter, and received the following tidbits:

• The lack of ability to paste a hex value appears to be a Mac-only bug, in Windows it works. (Thanks @cloudislands, @friskdesign)
  • Within the Save for Web & Devices dialog, if you use the eyedropper tool on the left to select a colour within the canvas, and then hit the Matte colour dropdown menu arrows and select Eyedropper Color, that works. (Thanks @kyleridolfo, @Yardboy, @bradleysepos

January 08, 13h

I stuck with Photoshop 7 and made do without updates. Aperture is much better for photo work, but I occasionally boot to an old system on an external hard drive when I absolutely need PS7 for something.

Adobe’s still not inspiring me to give them any more money. I wonder if I can get by with Acorn or something else…

January 08, 14h

One alternative is to use the OS X native color picker. By way of various third party add-ons it becomes a lot more useful for web work since it can be extended to read out hex colors and accept copy and pasting. Plus it always lets you select any pixel on the screen. Might be a bit of a bullet to bite, but it’s a choice to weigh.

January 08, 18h

There could be a few reasons of why Adobe hasn’t fixed this which is surprising. They’re always successful in releasing a new version of PS every year, and you would think they would have this ironed by now. My guess could be within the architecture of the programming. It would be too much of a pain for an Adobe developer to start over from a specific point in the code, not knowing if it would affect something else important and cause future bugs.

Maybe you really are the first notice on this bug?

Andreas says:
January 09, 01h

Dear Adobe, the new UI in CS4 is still a terrible idea, and no, it is not possible to configure it like it was before. Just as many are upgrading from Vista to XP, a lot of artists upgrades from CS4 to CS3 and I understand why.

josh_kg says:
January 09, 12h

Wow, I thought I was the only one who had this issue. Maybe I’m not that special after all..

Simon says:
January 09, 18h

Yes! The inability to copy and paste hex values in the Save For Web dialogue drives me nuts. I could’ve sworn this was working back in CS3

January 11, 02h

This one has seriously annoyed me for years. I generally have TextEdit open so that I can manually type out the hex value when required.

For users like me they’ll probably leave this in as a ‘feature’ out of fear of breaking my existing working habits (much like the recent Cmd + H changes announced: http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2009/12/cmd-h.html).

Don’t expect it to be fixed in CS4 either, you’ll probably have to wait for CS5 if you’re lucky.

January 11, 02h

Jeremy says:
January 11, 10h

Wow! I never knew. Since save for web was introduced in 5.5, this seemingly minor bug should have easily been fixed in 6.0. Why it is still present 6 versions later is a complete mystery!

January 11, 19h

When going to save for web and trying to select the the color by clicking the matte field like you do on your video, results in the same bug in Windows also.

Also…

1. in the save for web screen totally left side click the eyedropper tool
2. select a color using this one (notice the small field below the eyedropper on the left will change color)
3. hit the matte dropdown and choose eyedropper color ~

Example here http://www.petralian.com/_upload/eyedropper.jpg

January 12, 08h

I hope your dear adobe video works. I can’t stand that either. It just does not make sense. Thanks for taking the time to point it out.. because its one of those things where it doesnt take much time to get around but is a real pain!

Wretched says:
January 26, 23h

I agree the way you’re trying to do it would be more intuitive and in keeping with the way Photoshop handles the colour picker everywhere else.

You can however easily pick the transparency/mate colour by simply selecting the colour that you want to make mate in the “Colour Table”.

Select the colour and then select the transparent box icon (2nd icon form the left underneath the Colour Table) and this will make the selected colour transparent.

No need to copy or paste the Hex value or anything like that.

Chantal says:
February 02, 09h

I had a look at this in my PS CS2 on mac osx and it also presents with this bug. It seems like they have had this problem all along and it was just never fixed.

February 14, 04h

February 23, 08h

You think it’s bad on the Mac? In addition to the lack of an eyedropper in the “Save for Web” color picker, Photoshop on Windows has had a nagging problem since version 6:
After about an hour or so of editing a layers-heavy Photoshop file, copy/paste stops working. Completely. I have to close all my files (including the several unsaved reference screenshots), close down Photoshop, restart it, and reopen everything again. Frustrating!

Photoshop CS4 on Windows XP (not sure about Win7, I’m back to using CS3) is a *resource hog*. CS4 takes up 50% of the CPU when it starts up, with no files open. And then after about an hour of use, it slows down to where it takes a second or more to register mouse-clicks. *Really* frustrating when using the pen tool.

It seems a lot of these problems with Photoshop really manifested themselves after Adobe acquired Macromedia. Granted, it’s anecdotal evidence, but I wonder if there’s a connection.

Anywho, thanks for giving me an opportunity to vent :-)

Janus Hasseriis says:
March 03, 07h

I run into this problem all the time.
My normal work-around is to, before hitting save for web, pick the color that I want for matte, and then in the save dialogue, choose “Foreground color” for matte.

But I think the bigger problem is, that often you want to save .gif’s or .png’s with transparency.
So you have to hide the layers you don’t to be seen.
And then when you want to save for web, the color, that you for matte, is not visible. So you can’t color pick it anyway.