Mobile version (Display Regular Site)

Profile Madness

May 19, 2009

I thought I had Adobe’s colour profiles all worked out. I really did.

I’m sure they’re great for photographers and print designers and so on. The problem is, on the web, we deal with browsers and image formats that don’t support colour profiles. With a few exceptions, we can’t use them even if we want to. That means an embedded profile is usually worse than a nuisance, it’s actively harmful: when saving out JPGs and GIFs the colour often shifts from what’s intended to something very different.

The answer seems to lie in turning off colour management for the RGB space, which helps when creating brand new source files. But what happens when an existing file has an embedded colour profile? How do you get that to render accurately when saved out to a web-friendly file format?

A couple of years ago I wrote up my best guess. Converting from whichever profile the source file uses to a generic monitor profile would get you closer to an accurate result when saved out as a GIF. If I have source imagery in sRGB, a quick convert to the generic “Color LCD” profile takes care of things.

And that’s probably as far as most people will ever need to worry about. It’s good enough for most web work. But I just stumbled across a problem that, while an edge case, has turned me around completely. I used to think colour profiles were a solved problem. Now I have to wonder whether I can ever rely on them.

Over the weekend I released a new, free mini-set of icons. This is the first time I’ve produced a Chalkwork set on a new computer; since I started working on the set a few years ago I had done everything on an iMac that I no longer own.

That’s relevant because when I was originally struggling with this colour profile issue, my solution was to convert from sRGB to a profile called “Working RGB - iMac”. I had embedded the results of that particular profile into an icon set with thousands of files, and going forward, I needed to continue using it to ensure any new sets would match my previous work. This is an icon family with a common palette; colour precision is pretty darn important.

I realized I needed to save out that profile somehow. There still doesn’t seem to be a facility built in to save and load custom colour profiles as of CS4, but you are able to expose the numbers behind each profile by selecting it in the Convert To dialog, then immediately after selecting “Custom RGB”. This pops up a new dialog with Gamma, colour temperature and so on. You can set these values manually using the same dialog, so I figured this was a roundabout way to save and load a profile.

Sometime last year I pulled out all these numbers and saved them on my hard drive as a text file that looks like so:

Name: Chalkwork Icons
Gamma: 1.80
White Point: Custom
          x        y
White:  0.2819   0.2942

Primaries: Custom
         x        y
Red:   0.6331   0.3404
Green: 0.2855   0.5943
Blue:  0.1273   0.0603

Armed with that file (which I don’t understand in the slightest) and detailed instructions for myself about converting profiles and saving out the icons every time I produce an icon set, I figured I had my rear covered for the next time I wanted to do it. You can see where this is going: the profile above isn’t even close on the new computer. I ended up spending an hour or so testing different profiles to find a new one that was closest to the original, and the one I had previously saved isn’t it.

Below you’ll see two icons saved to various profiles, the arrow is from an older set and the credit card is from the new set:

Colour Profiled Icons

With the exception of the actual icon files on the far right, each is saved using my regular process: I took the raw, unprofiled pixels, converted to sRGB, then converted to the respective colour profile, then saved. (Though with the sRGB example I did convert back to a generic color LCD profile for the sake of rendering it accurately here.)

The differences seem a bit slight in some of them, so I’ve taken the blue outline colour and filled an entire block with it in this next image which more clearly shows the differences:

Colour Profiled Blue

It took a lot of experimentation, but in the end it seems that Apple RGB is currently the closest match; even in the blue strips it’s hard to see any difference, but there’s a block above the word “Actual” which is slightly duller (#1C356C vs. #19366E) that shows the difference between the old icon save process and the new one. It’s a slight difference, sure, but knowing that I can never match the older icon sets precisely is going to bug me.

So I’m really not sure what I’ve learned here. I think I fundamentally understand colour profiles at this point, but I don’t seem to be able to duplicate past results using them. Is it a version difference between CS2 (what I used prior) and CS4 (what I’m using now)? Is it a hardware difference between two Macs? I thought the entire reason for profiles in the first place was to alleviate those issues. I need precision, but I don’t seem to be able to achieve it.

My ideal of having a way of carrying a previous profile forward doesn’t seem to exist, so I’m really not sure how to plan for future icon sets. My best guess is to hope that sRGB and Apple RGB stick around, and rely on them in the future; will my next Mac produce the same results that this one does? Who knows. I can’t trust that what I just did this past weekend will work in the future. And that really bothers me.

May 19, 13h

I’ve found (from both illustration and web work) that using Working RGB - sRGB IEC61966-2.1 gives me the best results.

At one point I used to know why, but the explanation escapes me for the moment.

Good luck!

May 19, 13h

re: “Anyone from Adobe well-versed in colour profiles would be more than welcome to respond here.”

Not sure if I know, or what to ask others… my best guess of the question may be “Can you tell me what’s going on with this combination of color profiles?”, but it might be “Where’s all-inclusive info on color profiles and their implementations?” Or maybe it’s “What are the best color-profile strategies for today?”

Can you help me zoom in on what you’re trying to find?

jd/adobe

May 19, 14h

Thanks John – while it’s a bit lengthy, I’d imagine simply phrasing it as “how do I get a specific RGB value that I used to be able to get, while recognizing that I need to convert between profiles and ultimately save for the profile-agnostic web?” would have raised all the questions I’ve attempted to answer up front about why I’d need to do all this in the first place.

But that’s probably the core of what I’m trying to figure out. Also, “can you tell my what’s going on with this combination of colour profiles?” would be a nice-to-have.

Daniel S. says:
May 19, 15h

I too get by (seemingly fine) with the Euro Web profile which defaults to sRGB IEC61966-2.1

I run all my PNGs through Pngcrush which zaps any colour correction data (also drops the file size a little bit too as a result). Colour sampling for CSS hasn’t been an issue when I’ve used this method.

May 19, 16h

@Anton @Daniel - you normally work in SRGB IEC61966-2.1, don’t bother converting, and experience no colour shift at all when saving as GIF/JPG? If that’s exactly what you’re doing, I’m pretty sure you’re wrong, and your imagery actually does experience colour shifts.

Try this. Open a new document in sRGB IEC…etc. Add three large areas of colour: one #C5423B, one #B73BC5, and one #48C43A. Hit the File > Save for Web & Devices menu, save a GIF, then open it back up in Photoshop. alongside the original. The colours should be noticeably faded and dull.

Right?

Now here’s a fun trick. Use the eyedropper and sample each of the colours, and notice the hex values. Same as the originals above. Why? Because sRGB is changing the colours for you while you’re viewing in Photoshop; those you see in your sRGB document while working aren’t the true colour values.

(PNG is a bit of a wild card since it can, sometimes, include a colour profile; whether you’re viewing it with software that’s capable of actually using that colour profile is another question entirely. That’s why I’m using GIF/JPG as examples here, they’re more absolute.)

Bryan K says:
May 19, 17h

This is an issue that’s been bugging me for a long time and I certainly don’t have an answer to. I’ve had to stop using iPhoto and Aperture because I can’t figure out a way to go from them to Photoshop and then to the web with anything near the colors I want. (And I’d like to think I’m pretty good when it comes to this computers thing.)

I’m curious, what gamma do you have OS X set to? I’ve been setting my Macs to 2.2 (PC standard) just out of habit because everything feels washed out to me at 1.8. (Probably not a good reason.) The problem is it makes dealing with Photoshop even more confusing because it automatically compensates when I have files open but then doesn’t in the Save for Web dialog. Or something.

May 19, 17h

I just tried the little experiment that you suggested, and I didn’t get any noticable color variations (I took a screengrab if you’d like to see). I’m curious what your “Colour Settings > Colour Management Policies” are set to. I should also point out that I have my Apple monitor color settings matched to the sRGB setting and I have conversions turned off.

May 19, 19h

Dave, there always seems to be one major variable not talked about enough in these conversations about colour profiles … and that’s the profile the user has set for their monitor.

It’s all insane, but while setting my screen to some profiles in System Preferences, I will experience colour shift (or rather I should say I *notice* the colour shift), while with other profiles I wouldn’t.

So far, the best I’ve been able to do is set my Photoshop working RGB space to the same exact profile as my Monitor. What’s crazy about this, is that the option to convert images to the working profile on open gets disabled when using this option:

The thing is, the color profile that you saved form your old computer very well may be close to what it was on this new computer, but because of the different screen, it will look totally different. I leave my MacBook Air sitting next to my MacPro’s Cinema Display all day and its *staggering* how crazy the color differences are, even with the exact same color profile selected in System Preferences. My wife also has a MacBook Pro that looks way different than those 2 as well. And I’m not talking about little changes, they are insanely noticeably different.

May 19, 19h

@Anton - aha! That’s the difference. My monitor colour settings are left on the Apple defaults. If your screen is applying sRGB already, then you’re working and viewing in the same colour space, so you won’t experience a shift after all.

My own Colour Management Policies for RGB are:

Working Spaces: Monitor RGB - Color LCD

Color Management Policies - Off

Profile Mismatches: Ask When Opening

That gets me the untouched RGB values in my preview, and in my output.

Daniel S. says:
May 19, 19h

I’ve followed that quick test and I’m not seeing a difference when I reopen the files :( Admittedly, using the colour picker on the JPG I got a little change on the ‘red’ with #C5413C (which is a 1 degree Hue diff.)

I figured using a PNG with all colour correction data stripped would be the better option over a GIF?

To check I’m not going crazy I’ve put together a quick page with the JPG, GIF and PNG laid on top of the three colour samples rendered using CSS values for comparison:

There’s also a Zip with 18 screenshots using different browsers on different platforms. Two of which I can see a slight difference in the ‘purple’ of the JPG.

May 19, 21h

@Josh Bryant - thanks for the detail, between Anton’s comment and yours I’ve made the connection between monitor profiles and Adobe app profiles, something I was missing before.

The upshot is, at this point, I don’t think I’m going to be able to replicate the exact colour I was saving out in the past. And if I continue to use monitor-related profiles, every time I change computers I’ll get different results. Really, really frustrating, but maybe the Apple RGB I’m now using will be fairly constant across systems. One can hope.

Winston Grace says:
May 19, 21h

Using your test, I don’t get any difference between the untagged exported GIF/JPG and the original file in Photoshop either. Think its pretty essential to calibrate your monitor, but anyway this is what I do:

1. Monitor is calibrated and a custom monitor profile created. Gamma is set to 2.2

2. All working artwork created in or converted to sRGB.

3. Save for Web without the ICC profile embedded.

This way, your original files are in a standard working space profile, and whenever you open them on another screen or computer, as long as its calibrated, in theory there shouldn’t be a problem.

I did notice a slight difference in the image between Photoshop and the browser(s), but not much, and reckon its mostly due not using a proper hardware calibrator, just the calibrator tool in System Preferences to set the monitor profile.

Winston Grace says:
May 19, 22h

Ah, here is a a better, more detailed explanation:

Julik says:
May 20, 00h

Hi Dave! Fof all, there is an AppleScript somewhere which will extract the profiles from images, the applescript api for colordync allows this. Secondly, when you open the images with the embedded profile you should not convert them into your working color space but leave the profile as is (this leaves the rgb values the same) or simply use “assign profile” to retag the file as being in another color space (preferably sRGB or Adobe RGB to stay pprtable between machines). Then here is what will happen: if your file is tagged as SRGB with SRGB also being your working space, Photoshop will not convert colors until you do “save for web”. All the time while doing this, what you _see_ on the screen will be corrected with your monitor profile set in system prefs.

The problem is that disabling color management is more like sticking your head in the sand, and yoi have gotten to the point where it bites.
What you have in your case is the same file converting to sRGB differently on your new machine, but I think you can devise a workflow which will get you the same SRGB values even coming from another working space

pepelsbey says:
May 20, 02h

Here’s my color management mantra for CS4:

— Gamma value for Mac OS X is 2.2 instead of 1.8, like in Windows and (!) Mac OS 10.6 aka Snow Leopard, to avoid visual mismatches (too dark for Windows, too light for Mac)
— Working profile is sRGB (North America Web/Internet or Europe Web/Internet)
— All checkboxes like «Ask when opening» is on
— View > Proof Colors is on
— View > Proof Setup > Monitor RGB selected
— Save for Web dialog > Convert to sRBG checkbox is on
— In dialog Embedded Profile Mismatch > Convert document colors…

So if you using sRGB or converting to sRGB from another profile there’s no color profiles in «Save for Web» images.

May 20, 02h

I don’t know if it addresses the exact problem you’re having, but I found this article really helpful:

Best,
Tom

Neal G says:
May 20, 06h

You could always use Adobe Fireworks instead of Photoshop. Fireworks does not use a color profile. I’ve often times had the opposite reaction that you just had i.e. I have an image created in Photoshop, I import it into Fireworks, and the color is all messed up.

Dalton says:
May 20, 06h

I didn’t see if you had mentioned this anywhere else, but you do need to calibrate your monitor if you are working anything color-critical. That’s how you know that what you are seeing on your monitor is reasonably close to what others will see.

Then, work in sRGB and use Photoshop’s “Save For Web and Devices” output, which should produce standard results across most systems and browsers.

If you use a monitor profile or leave the file untagged, you are pretty much guaranteed to have problems with the Save for Web dialog, which seems to be what is happening here.

Winston has it pretty much correct above. Try following those tips and see how it goes.

May 20, 06h

Dave, based on the problems you describe, there are two things you need to understand.

First of all, when you “save for web” in Photoshop and save as a jpg, the color changes that you see with the eye dropper are due to the jpg compression, not any color correction from a profile. I believe, based on the few tests that I have done when running into this issue, that if you crank the the quality slider over to 100% and do the same test, the actual number values will be the same when you open it up again (as long as you don’t convert to a profile when you open it).

Secondly, Photoshop does not do any profile color correction when you “save for web”. Profiles are all about telling the color matching system what colors **look** like, not what they are. So if you have a red (#C5423B) in an rgb document open in Photoshop, the working profile (or the profile assigned to that image if you didn’t convert it) tell the system what that red is supposed to look like. Because of all the different ways those numbers could be rendered on different devices, those numbers don’t tell us anything about what they are supposed to look like unless we have a profile assigned to them (that is what the working profile is for).

Now, the thing that appears to have thrown you is the visual color shift that happens when you view that image in a browser. The colors are usually washed out compared to what you saw in Photoshop. When you view an image in Photoshop, it is actually adjusting the colors it renders on the screen to help you have a true view of what the color will look like. The good news is you can tell Photoshop to render it based on what you will see on **your** screen by selecting “Monitor RGB” in “Proof Setup” in the “View” menu. Make sure “Proof Colors” is turned on and Photoshop will essentially leave the colors alone when rendering on your screen. You can also switch to “Macintosh RGB” and “Windows RGB” to get a sense of what those numbers will generally look like on those systems.

By the way, that visual difference between the Mac RGB and the Windows RGB can’t really be ignored because that is a good estimate of what that image will look when rendered in a browser on those different systems. The Mac is much lighter because it is based on a 1.8 gamma instead of the 2.2 of Windows. Changing your system’s gamma to 2.2 will make the images you see look more like they do for Windows users, but then you will not know what the macs are seeing either.

Sorry this is so long!!

Snowflake Seven says:
May 20, 07h

@Winston Grace (#13): I realize this isn’t your fault, or problem for that matter, but the gballard.com “explanation” is the most confusing tutorial I’ve ever seen. Maybe somewhere in all of the links, red type and random font-sizes something is actually communicated. But damned if I can make sense of it.

If only Adobe or A List Apart for that matter could research the heck out of this and publish a definitive tutorial for web production that permanently put the demon to rest.

And by research, I don’t mean some articulate web designers best guess after trial & error–we’ve had plenty of that over the years. I mean research as in sitting down with the software programmers that write the Adobe code and those that write the browser code and have them hash it out.

Hell, they might even collectively realize it has been overlooked all this time and make the effort to definitively fix it.

Winston Grace says:
May 20, 08h

@Snowflake Seven

Ha, yeah your completely right of course, it is one hell of a mess, but it was the closest I could find to a detailed explanation.

It is surprising that there hasn’t been a thoroughly thought out and articulate article on something like A List Apart.

May 20, 08h

@Mark Whitcher - The part about the JPG compression is a bit off. If you’ll notice in Dave’s post, he used both JPG and GIF as a test. And both do the colour shift. I’ve experienced this as well and it has nothing to do with the compression. Photoshop literally changes the colours on output. You can even visually see the different by toggling the “Convert to sRGB” checkbox in save for web at times. But again, you may not be experiencing this because it all depends on each individual’s combination of 4 things:

1. Colour profile set for your Mac in System Preferences
2. Colour profile of the image opened in Photoshop
3. Proof colour profile on/off and setting in Photoshop
4. Convert to sRGB checkbox in Save for Web in Photoshop

It’s a mess. And us web people really need a guided solution that allows us to:

1. Select any profile we want in System Preferences (including calibrating our monitor).
2. Open any file from any computer and see the colour hex values that they see.
3. Output any file with selected hex colour value and see those same colour values in browsers.
4. Move from one computer to the next and output the same image (even though it will look different on that screen of course since it’s a different LCD).

May 20, 08h

@Dave Shea - re: your reply. Here’s what I don’t understand though and I’ve never been able to work out:

1. If you use a monitor profile you’re guaranteed the colours in and output in your image are going to match what you see on the screen, so your can guarantee colour matching with CSS. But of course that colour profile is only based on *that* screen so the image will look completely different on any other screen. Same thing with CSS, we often choose HEX values based on what we see on our screen looks good, but knowing that other screens will see slightly different things (to our eyes, but same HEX in reality). The variable here is people’s screens … and its exponentially more frustrating when we as the designer are working with 2 different ones ourselves.

2. If we choose instead to go a different route and choose to work and export in a generic colour profile, we can insure that the image will be the same values between working on different graphic files that need to look the same … but then we loose colour matching in CSS.

3. If we choose to set our display to a generic colour profile on every screen we use then we work with a monitor that looks terrible because that specific colour profile is not calibrated for that screen.

I’m still completely lost at what’s the best/right solution. I’d like to:

1. Use a calibrated colour profile for my LCD.
2. Work with images and save our for web in photoshop while having those images look closest as possible to the same on other screens.
3. Open that image on another computer, edit it, save it and have it match others from the same set that were created on the other computer.
4. Open images from other people, edit them, save them and have them retain their settings.
5. Colour match with CSS and have that work cross-platform/machine/browser.

May 20, 12h

@Josh Bryant–You are, of course, right. I neglected Dave’s mention of the gif format, and I have not done any testing with that format specifically. I would not be surprised to see that rgb values do get changed when generating a gif because with that format a color palette is generated for the document. There are different settings to control how that palette is generated (perceptual, selective, adaptive, etc.), but it still remains that a color palette is being generated. The point I was trying to make is that those color changes (where the actual rgb values change) occur because of the generation of those file formats, not color correction from a profile. If you save the same image as a png in “save for web” the rgb values will remain the same.

May 20, 12h

As I mainly slice PSDs and build pages with CSS, I’ve had to turn off all color matching and use monitor colors with sRGB off. With profiles embedded in images, you can’t do gradients/shadows to solid css colors as some people’s browsers respect the sRGB profile and some don’t. Sure, transparent PNGs would work, but they are huge.

Most people’s monitors are not calibrated as they browse the web, so colors may vary wildly depending on the computer.

May 20, 14h

It looks to me like you are mixing output device profiles (your monitor profile) and input color profiles (image profile).

You should not apply your monitor profile to the image. This profiles has information about your monitor, the way it displays color and it is used by your OS to “change” the data it is sending to your monitor so you can see the colors the way that they are meant to be seen. That is why it is important to have a calibrated monitor.

On the other hand, we have the image, that is saved using a specific color profile. Not all color profiles used for saving images display the all of the colors in the same way. In the ideal situation you could convert the image from one color profile to another without noticing any changes bat that is usually not the case.

My recommendation is to use sRGB from the start. That is your target color profile due to the fact that Safari is the only browser that knows how to apply color profiles to the images as you know.

Hope this helps in clearing up the confusion at least a little bit.

May 20, 21h

It looks to me like it’s time to design some black and white icons.

May 21, 08h

I use Paint Shop Pro 6 and 8. I noticed, recently, that if I saved a PNG in PSP8 (which allows transparency), the colour would be off. I just open it in PSP6, which probably doesn’t have colour profile support, and resave it. It doesn’t touch the alpha layer, so the transparency is preserved, but the colours are the way they should be.

Colour spaces are funny things. What if you try a few different colour profiles, and then slap those onto a webpage of the same colour? Choose the profile that looks like the webpage, because that’s what people are going to see. It’s all about the relativity.

May 22, 16h

@pepelsbey — I think you’ve got it right. That’s what I’ve been using.

— Make sure all your web work is in sRGB

But, the key thing to making it work is to turn on “Proof Colours”, in the view menu. Then, set the proof setup to Monitor RGB

— View > Proof Colors is on
— View > Proof Setup > Monitor RGB selected
— Save for Web dialog > Convert to sRBG checkbox is on
— In dialog Embedded Profile Mismatch > Convert document colors…

May 22, 21h

First - a calibrated monitor and using proper profiles for your monitor (NOT sRGB or Adobe RGB) - a proper *monitor* profile is what you need for your monitor.

Profiles don’t alter images unless the profile is applied by the application in question. Different applications apply profiles - some don’t (Firefox 2.0 for example).

Depending on whether you applied your profile or just left the image tagged with your profile is the secret trick.

“Save for Web” will do whatever you ask it to. Working in sRGB and making sure the convert to sRGB checkbox is checked is the most painless and consistent way to get appropriate color on the web.

@Douglas Heriot got it spot on.

May 25, 15h

Not sure if this helps any, but some theory.

A RGB value describes a point in a 3D coordinate system. However, the position of the point tells you nothing, when you don’t know what the scale is on the each of the axis. This is where the color profile comes in. It sets the coordinate system, so with it, the 3 coordinates give you an exact color.

Color profiles vary in size. On a mac, open ColorSync utility to compare them. Notice how ProPhoto RGB is huge compared to the sRGB. It includes colors that sRGB doesn’t

Each color profile is made for a specific use. ProPhoto RGB was created so photographers could use it to print a great amount of colors. However, most of this colors can not be visible on an low-end computer display. That’s why HP and Microsoft invented sRGB, which is supposed to only include colors, which every display can represent. Afterwards, W3C standardized sRGB and states that all browsers, when not otherwise instructed, should display colors as if in sRGB profile. In other words, take the RGB value, put it into sRGB coordinate system and display whichever color you get.

Now the problem - No browser actually uses the sRGB profile. They all display content (unprofiled images, as well as html elements) in the display profile of users display. Which means, every user sees a different color, as we don’t use the same displays, nor the same display profiles. Basically, you’re best off always saving to sRGB, including the profile and the colors will be as good as possible on most displays. And the browsers that do recognize profiles (Safari 3, Firefox 3), will show the correct colors. But only on a calibrated display, so it’s useless for the average Joe anyway.

When saving the image for web, you will have to save it in a smaller color profile, preferably sRGB. This will mean you will lose some colors, those who fall outside of the sRGB color space. Even if you don’t include the color profile, it’s best to transform them into sRGB first. Hence, why Photoshop CS4 includes this option in save for web screen.

Using proper colors on the internet? Same color for all users? Forget it. First, we need browsers that support that. Even when that happens, it would mean all users would need to have their screen calibrated to see the colors properly.

To put all of this in practice, take an image, convert it into different color profiles, and save it, including the color profile. Opening the resulting files, they should all look the same. But you need to keep the “Proof colors” option off. As Proof colors only displays your original RGB values in a different color profile. The same thing browsers do, and what “Assign profile” in Photoshop would do, which is why we use “Convert to profile” instead. This one actually alters the RGB color values so the resulting color looks the same in the new profile as it did in the previous one.

I hope I made some sense here. As these whole color profiles business surely doesn’t …

Carly says:
June 02, 11h

I’m glad Dave bought this up, because it’s something i’ve been having problems with for the longest time.

“That is why it is important to have a calibrated monitor.”

There’s my problem, my Samsung display (not cheap) come with 2 programs to calibrate my monitor and set that all up, MagiTune Premium and another (name escapes me).

When my monitor is calibrated, it looks downright horrible which is confirmed by several people so it’s not just me. So i de-calibrate it to look good, of course Photoshop complains the profile is wrong so i don’t use that profile in PS.

Doing Dave’s test, same thing as him slightly washed out although i’ve got it very close when saving for web and sRGB is checked.

I’ve spent hours trying to get it perfect, as they say close but no cigar.

June 08, 15h

Mac OS X Snow Leopard was announced today and among the interesting tidbits in Apple’s list of refinements was the following nugget in the “System Wide” section under the heading “Gamma 2.2”:

“The default gamma has been changed from 1.8 to 2.2 to better serve the color needs of digital content producers and consumers.”

Sounds like this might help matters a little bit.

Sam says:
June 25, 06h

@Rian, where did you see this about Snow Leopard, I hope they do change the gamma from 1.8 to 2.2, it would help a lot! I have been struggling with colour profiles on my iMac, I will try out some of the suggestions in this article’s comments.