An Inevitable Tiger Review

May 02, 2005

A running tally of all the cool (and not so cool) new things I find to love/hate in Mac OS X 10.4, otherwise known as Tiger.

Tiger — the latest version of Mac OS X — was released to a lot of fanfare on Friday afternoon, as you’re no doubt aware by now since it seems to have garnered an inordinate amount of press. For an insanely comprehensive review of the low-level stuff, turn to ARS Technica. For a look at the smaller changes that affect day-to-day usage, check out John Gruber’s running tally.

As a fairly recent Mac convert myself, I hadn’t bothered going out of my way to find myself a copy of Panther, the previous upgrade, until a few weeks after its release. This time around, I made sure I was at the front of the line when the boxes went on sale. The store was busy, but not nearly as much as I might have expected. Looks like the Apple stores themselves (of which we have none in Canada yet) had a bigger turnout.

With barely a few days of usage on the new OS, how am I liking it? That’s inconclusive for the moment, as I still haven’t had any lightning bolt revelations like the way Exposé struck me. I’ll need more time than this to really form an opinion. It looks like there’s a lot of good new stuff to explore, and of course a few new annoyances to adjust to. I’ll keep this list running over the course of this week as I dig further in to my new toy, and add new items as I find them.

System Slowdown

Anecdotally, and based only on a gut feeling, my system feels slower. Many have reported the opposite to be true, so I think I might be an exception. I upgraded my 10.3 install instead of doing an entire re-install, which might be part of the problem. Just prior to the upgrade though, I was rapidly running out of primary drive free space (to the point where I only had a few hundred MB left). I’ve since cleared off about 5GB, so my virtual memory shouldn’t be a bottleneck here, although I’m tempted to assume my drive is quite a bit more fragmented now. If so, I wouldn’t be surprised if that alone explained the slowdown. Otherwise it might be time to think about dropping a few widgets off my Dashboard..

Automator

I finally got around to tinkering with the new Automator, and I feel pretty positive about it. It’s limited to a series of pre-canned actions for various applications, which currently consist entirely of Apple products. But it’s also open to developers adding hooks within their own applications, so that will probably change. I get the feeling it’s essentially AppleScript lite, for those who choose not to learn the language. Suits me fine.

Image Dimensions in Column View

Finally, it’s no longer necessary to Cmd + 1 to switch to icon view for the sake of getting image dimensions. As long as ‘Show Preview Column’ is checked in view options (Cmd + J) the preview column contains ‘em.

Column View Image Dimensions

Installation

Installation was a snap, as I’d pretty much expect from any major software release right now. After appropriately backing everything up, unplugging the external Firewire drive, and clicking a few dialogue boxes to get things underway then ducking out for a movie, coming back to a freshly Tigerized computer was a nice treat.

Safari 2.0

The new RSS feature seems pretty much useless to me, a happy NetNewsWire user. I don’t see much point in reading a site’s RSS feed in the browser, when I can simply read the full site. Maybe I’m missing some kind of aggregation feature that lumps all the various feeds together the way a traditional news reader does.

Update: If you haven’t already overridden your default RSS button action with a non-Safari aggregator (like I have), apparently creating a bookmark folder of RSS feeds will enable you to view them all together after all.

Credit where it’s due though, Safari lets me click on the blue RSS button to subscribe to a feed in my default newsreader, which happens to be NNW. It doesn’t lock me into Safari itself, which is smart. Beyond RSS, there’s plenty new to see in Safari 2.0. This is the one I expect to dig into much further, but for now I’m quite impressed by the speed improvement.

Minor annoyance: context-sensitive menus on links and images have improved, but the old standbys “Save Image As…” and “Download/Save Linked File As…” are a bit different, saving to the Desktop by default. Pressing Option brings back the old menu items, but still. I categorize my downloaded items as I grab them to avoid a marathon clean-up session later; why discourage that behaviour?

Slideshow

I’ve never quite gotten the hang of the Photoshop file browser, and iPhoto is way too slow, so this is one of the best new additions for my particular workflow. Ever since switching from Windows XP, I’ve missed the equivalent functionality of being able to view a folder of images in slideshow format. The Tiger implementation is spectacular, allowing you to quickly alternate between a series of slides and a full-screen view of any particular image.

Here’s how you get to it:

Slideshow access button

Here’s the full-screen view and controls:

Slideshow full screen view

And here’s the slide view, which expands and collapses in a way reminiscent of Exposé:

Slideshow slide view

But read the next point.

Slideshow

What’s absolutely appalling is how buried this new functionality is. The only way I’ve found to get to it is by running a Spotlight search, and browsing through the resulting images that return in your search. This might be acceptable if all I ever did was browse by keyword, but there’s a reason I categorize my images into folders. I can’t imagine why this hasn’t been implemented in the Finder somehow.

Update: Turns out it can be done after all. Too bad it’s so buried. This is one area where XP has OS X beat.

Dashboard

Dashboard is mostly (very slick) eye candy, but I could see the potential for a few really well-built widgets becoming staples of my daily computer usage. A fair criticism I’ve heard is that the Dashboard layer, which exists almost as a virtual second desktop for the various widgets, is too exclusive. There’s a demand for the ability to move these widgets out of it and onto the real desktop, and move other applications into it. I may be alone in this, but I wouldn’t want these widgets cluttering up my desktop. Having them pulled into view by a tap of F12 is a great way of managing them. But a choice is always nice in cases like this.

The widgets themselves look to be a little weighty, memory-wise. No noticeable slowdown yet, but this will be the first place I look if and when. And how come new widgets I’ve downloaded don’t show up in the control panel thingy at the bottom of the screen?

DVD Install

Tiger comes on a DVD. Apparently you can get CDs by mailing the original disc back to Apple along with a nominal service fee, but it’s pretty clear that DVD is the new distribution medium going forward. Fine for my Powerbook, not so great for my older iBook which is still ticking along just fine. It’ll be interesting to see how its older OS ages.

Spotlight

I’ve yet to determine how much Spotlight actually changes things. I’m pretty darn addicted to QuickSilver and its adaptive selection; Spotlight feels a lot slower, and the jumping around as new results filter in is particularly annoying.

My biggest pet peeve so far is that results will appear, then disappear as newer and more relevant results filter in. If you’re going to show an item in the results at all, leave it there. Yes, I can pull up the full Spotlight window and hunt down the flash of an item I happened to notice, but the relative speed of the incoming results often means I didn’t catch enough of a glimpse to retain the name or location.

My searching so far has consisted of a few half-hearted guesses though, instead of anything concrete. Things that are annoying while there’s no goal in mind (the multiple clicks to filter by location, the wild variation of data types) might prove incredibly useful when I’m looking for something in particular. I’ll have to get a little more comfortable with Spotlight before I’m using it for tasks like that, so it seems like there might be not so much a learning curve as an adoption curve: I understand how it works, and why I’d need it, but I just haven’t felt comfortable enough with it to make it a part of my standard routine yet.

Smart Folders

Smart Folders. Saving search results as a virtual folder is brilliant. My favourite new smart folder: Items within “Bright Creative” Last Modified within Last 3 Days. One-click access to all my most recent working files, it’s a thing of beauty.

The menu bar at the top of the screen went glossier, while the blue Apple and Spotlight icons on either side went flatter. In all the pre-release screenshots I’ve seen, both icons appeared to “cap” either side of the menu bar with a full background colour that was clickable; it looked like a great solution to me. In the final release they simply sit there as roundish icons, while retaining the clickable area. Yawn.

RSS Screensaver

The new RSS screensaver is great. Select a source, and watch the latest realtime headlines swoosh around a swirling blue background. Click on any headline to visit the article. Not entirely practical, but hey, it’s a screensaver after all. They’re allowed to be cool for the sake of it.

Canadian Fix

Previously, in order to enable easy access to advanced character entry tools like the Keyboard Viewer or Character Palette, it was first necessary to select a keyboard language and enable a flag in your menu bar. Annoying, but livable… unless you happened to be a Canadian english speaker, of whom there are many; selecting the Canadian flag would enable a french keyboard layout. The only way around this was to live with having an American (or Australian) flag in your menu bar all the time. Thankfully, the problem has been fixed in Tiger.

Canadian Flag

Dictionary

A built-in, system-wide dictionary and thesaurus are a Ctrl+click away. Available as a context-sensitive menu, Dashboard widget, and stand-alone app, the vocabulary is large enough to be useful, but the built-in search ironically isn’t. Results are exact; don’t know how to spell a word? Too bad. dictionary.com still has a place in my workflow for now.

James says:
May 02, 01h

An alternative to the media viewing functions you describe can be found in the new Adobe Bridge that comes with Photoshop CS2. It contains an impressive array of media viewing options from straight text or mini-icon listings, to a full screen slide-show with caption support and a built in (5-star) rating system. Additionally, it includes the smart folder functionality in the way of “collections”.

.. and its Fast. DAMN FAST. (on XP anyways)

About the only draw-back to Bridge that I currently see is not being able to specify if a collection should run the “search” every time (like files modified < than 3 days) or just when you specify.

That may seem like a small drawback but my company deals with a wide assortment of Photoshop UI templates which hardly ever change (either location or filename wise) so simply saving an index to the files searched for on the first run (with a choice to update) is a lot faster and more efficient than scanning the hard drive every time.

May 02, 02h

I happen to like Picasa myself for sorting and looking for images, but I believe in your situation, it would be as clunky as iPhoto.

I checked out Dasboard at my local Apple store and I was less than blown away. It’s kind of like a stripped down version of Konfabulator. I like Konfabulator, plus it works on Windows.

Sage says:
May 02, 03h

From article: “Maybe I’m missing some kind of aggregation feature that lumps all the various feeds together the way a traditional news reader does.”

In Safari, create a new folder in your Bookmarks Bar, named, say, “RSS”. Then, everytime you run across a site with an RSS feed, click the RSS icon to get to the feed, then save it in your folder. When you have several feeds in that folder, there’s an option in the menu that says “View All RSS Articles” – this is what you want. Works great… easily handles about 40 sites at a time for me. It’s a bit overwhelming the first time you access it though, since it doesn’t know what you have and haven’t read yet.

Oliver says:
May 02, 03h

Wow that looks really awesome! I’d really like to try out the Mac.

Jay Tuley says:
May 02, 03h

From the Article:(It was interesting to see Apple didn’t bother pulling the punches either. All your favourite dirty words are in there and defined, with pronunciation guides.)

Well you can filter out the dirty words on an account by account basis for Dictionary.app. See the Accounts pane in the System Preferences.

Mike D. says:
May 02, 03h

Paolo: I disagree about the Spotlight/Quicksilver/Launchbar comparison. Apple made Spotlight’s default activation sequence Command-Space, which not coincidentally is the same default activation sequence as Quicksilver and Launchbar. It’s clear they meant for Spotlight to help replace these two apps (in addition to being a full-on search utility), but as Dave pointed out, Spotlight simply isn’t good enough to be a substitute at this point.

I’m a LaunchBar guy myself, but Spotlight is a full 5 seconds slower at finding apps than both LaunchBar and Quicksilver on some occasions. Worse yet, it doesn’t learn from your actions and it also doesn’t do smart pattern matching in words (so for instance, I can’t type in “FF” to launch Firefox).

Happy to keep using LaunchBar for now… disabled Spotlight key activation already.

omar says:
May 02, 04h

Hi a,
I really like the battery icon you have in your menu bar. Would you please tell me where it came from?

Thanks,
Omar

David says:
May 02, 05h

I have also heard that Photoshop CS does not work well with Tiger. (running half as slow) Has anyone else heard about this?

adam lloyd says:
May 02, 07h

Some things i’ve noticed after 3 days usage:

1. I managed to preview my entire collection of 5000 fonts in one 90 minute driveby sitting in Suitcase X1, without it crashing, and “beachballing” only once for a breather. It’s the exact same collection i used in panther, so I am thinking somethng serious has changed underneath the hood. I have never seen my entire collection in one sitting- i’d do it in chunks before- and i am still dazed from amazement.

2. 24FPS SWF files in browser from local file seem to be running a little bit slower with a little bit of stutter

3. Mail is definitely better performance wise, but admittedly, i do not have the baggage of massive archives like a lot of people do. Spotlight in Mail is definitely an amazing improvement over previous search function.

4. searching PDF content *finally*!

Paolo says:
May 02, 10h

The comparasion between Spotlight and Quicksilver have no sense. Spotlight isn’t meant to be an application launcher, it’s a search tool.
So use Quicksilver as an application launcher AND use Spotlight for all your searches.

Tom says:
May 02, 10h

Although I also like Tiger overall, my major gripe with it is how much slower Mail.app is. I’m not sure if the new version stores mail differently than the version in 10.3, but moving and deleting mail seems to take far longer than before.

With the egregious amount of spam I - and everyone else - receive, I wish Apple had made it possible to delete 1000+ messages as quickly as before.

May 02, 10h

Dave-

You can get the Slideshow in the Finder using the contextual menu. Select the pictures you want to view, then ctrl-click (or right-click).

Kyle says:
May 02, 10h

To get the new widgets to show up in the dashboard control panel I had to move them from their download location in my home library (~/Library/Widgets/) to the library under Mac HD (/Library/Widgets/).

May 02, 10h

“Select the pictures you want to view, then ctrl-click (or right-click).”

Ah! I had been trying it on the folders and single images, but never made that connection. Thanks, that’s one annoyance crossed off my list.

Although, really, that’s still pretty buried. WinXP recognizes when it’s viewing a folder full of images and gives you the slideshow controls right up front. That’s a smart way of doing it, I wouldn’t mind seeing something similar in OS X.

May 02, 10h

To get the widgets to auto-install, you have to have your browser set to auto-launch applications after download. This will automatically place the widgets in your user library.

TomP says:
May 02, 10h

While I have heard much about the “slowdown” of Mail.app in Tiger, I have yet to experience anything but a boost in performance with Mail. Granted, I spent a few hours last week replacing most of my Rules with SmartFolders, however in my experience on a 1.67gHz PowerBook, Mail is at least as snappy as it was in Panther.

Dave, you might well be able to install Tiger on your iBook without the whole “swap the DVD for CDs” shuffle. My father has the same problem, but I am going to try booting from my PowerBook with his iBook connected in FireWire target disk mode and then installing onto his iBook that way. I’d be curious whether anyone else has tried this, but as far as I know, it should work fine…

Shane says:
May 02, 10h

I was going to say what Kyle said. I got around the widgets not showing up by just copying them to the root Library folder.

Consider this a “yeah…that.”

Nathan says:
May 02, 10h

It is possible to use the widgets on your desktop. They still float above everything, but I hear it works…

Look here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050422172929402&query=widget+dashboard

Paul D says:
May 02, 11h

That “Canadian fix” is just what I’ve been waiting for! I’ve been stuck with the Australian flag ever since I switched (no offense to the Aussies).

Neil T. says:
May 02, 12h

Have you ever thought about using answers.com instead of dictionary.com? No popups and has a greater depth of information including Wikipedia articles.

Anyway, thanks for the article, it’s very informative.

Anthony says:
May 02, 12h

Even when Dashboard widgets are auto-installed or copied to either (system or user) widget folder, I’ve noticed that they don’t always show up in the Dashboard Dock, or whatever that thing is, until I scroll left or right once.

Kristen says:
May 02, 12h

You can put all of the RSS feeds into a folder and go to view feeds and it will show you all of the new feeds in that group. From there you can limit the view to lots of different options. It also tells you how many items are new in the bar.

You can also get to the definition of a term by hovering over any word and pressing cmd-ctrl-D. If you hold down cmd-ctrl after pressing D you can also move your cursor all around the page and get definitions without pressing any more keys.

Alex says:
May 03, 03h

Quicksilver is like 1000 times better than Spotlight. I tried using spotlight for a bit (turning off Quicksilver), and I seriously could no longer navigate my machine.

May 03, 04h

Considering Web design, the Safari PNG gamma issue (http://hsivonen.iki.fi/png-gamma/) has been addressed.

Harvey Chapman says:
May 03, 05h

1st. the battery icon is Slim Battery http://www.orange-carb.org/SBM/

2nd. what is the other icon that looks like a woman symbol on a necklace?

Harvey Chapman says:
May 03, 05h

For the users of Tiger Mail:

Do any of you use IMAP? IMAP in previous versions of Mac Mail is broken. Can any of you verify if these issues have been fixed? Specifically:

1. Moving messages between folders does not actually “move” them, but is rather a “copy & delete”. Test this by sorting a folder by Order Received and then move an older message from another folder into the newly sorted one. You should notice that the “file” date of the message, the one assigned by your receiving server has now been changed to the current date and time.

2. Mac Mail has never supported subscribed folders which is really annoying if you keep a full copy of your e-mail archive on both your laptop and the server. It will re-sync *every* folder each time you connect instead of a shorter list you have subscribed to.

3. Mac Mail does not handle gracefully the situation where the IMAP server limits the number of connections. If you have 10+ folders or so on a server. Try doing a search (inside messages) on all folders. When my IMAP server would limit the number of connections, Mac Mail would stall and go offline. This test may not work anymore with Spotlight unless your Mac Mail is setup to only retrieve message headers.

Thanks to all. These reviews are highly informative.

Randy says:
May 03, 06h

Just as an FYI .. I also have an ibook with only a cd drive, I just turned it into a firewire hd and installed tiger onto it from my cube. I know you already knew this but I just thought it was amazingly easy (and nice because my ibook cd drive is soooo slow by comparison)

l0ne says:
May 03, 07h

If you don’t need Keyboard Viewer, you might like the fact Tiger re-adds Edit > Special Characters…, which opens the Character Palette, to all (Cocoa) applications that didn’t have it before. The shotcut is command-option-T.

Christian Bogen says:
May 03, 07h

Mail.app’s IMAP support actually seems to have gotten worse instead of better. It’s even tricky to get it to cache existing messages and folders and overall access seems slower than before, even after ›forced caching‹ (which can be achieved by copying all IMAP messages to a local folder …).
Also it has no ›central‹ status indicator anymore which means you have to call up the activity window quite often in order to see if and what Mail.app is doing (if it’s not a ›folder-centric‹ task).
Right now I’m seriously considering Entourage 2004 …
=:-P

May 03, 07h

I have tested Tiger at schcool and its incredible. The next computer i will buy it will be a Mac and i think Mac OS is the perfect work space. Also, the Tiger Server is now 100% compatible with Windows. The server of my shcool will be on Tiger soon and when we will log in the server, all the students will have is own work space and it will be the same both on PC and Mac.

May 03, 07h

Harvey-

I believe Mail shows no improvement in Tiger on all three accounts. From what I can tell, moving is still “copy and delete,” there is still no support for subscribed folders, and I still run into the server connection limit sometimes (of course, since I’m the server administrator, I just up the limit — no everyone can do that, though). :)

Sorry for the bad news.

Lach says:
May 03, 08h

Brandon says:
May 03, 09h

TomP:
“I am going to try booting from my PowerBook with his iBook connected in FireWire target disk mode and then installing onto his iBook that way. I’d be curious whether anyone else has tried this, but as far as I know, it should work fine…”

Of course. Works great! The installer displays the target disk in the install disk choices just as it would an internal disk. It doesn’t care. As long as you have on Mac with a DVD drive, you can use that media to install all the others. I juiced up my old G3 700MHz iBook like that with no issues to report.

May 03, 11h

Wow, that Dashboard stuff looks absolutely beautiful. For a rather stark comparison, compare what’s on show here to what Windows upgraders have to look forward to: <http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,2393,l=150617&p=1&s=26945&a=150625&po=1&i=1,00.asp”>http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow_viewer/0,2393,l=150617&p=1&s=26945&a=150625&po=1&i=1,00.asp>

May 03, 12h

Back when Tiger had those blue caps on the top corners, i downloaded a shapeshifter skin that lookd like it, and now a few months later theyre driving me crazy. They looked cool and different at first, but it doesnt grow on you at all, it just grows old. its just plain ugly to me now. I’m glad they got rid of it.

transalpin says:
May 04, 01h

To syndicate right-click (or ctrl-click) a folder in your bookmarks bar that contains feeds. This is the faster alternative to scrolling down it’s contents.

The RSS tab in the Safari Preferences offers to distinguish between read and unread articles. This option is off by default.

May 04, 01h

Jeff-

You are correct, the Dictionary application definitely does allow you to misspell words and have it offer alternates. I would guess Dave just wasn’t spelling incorrectly correctly enough. :)

May 04, 04h

It was great to see a full review (complete with disadvantages) of Tiger. Overall my experience has been much the same, but one thing I’ve noticed but not really known whether it is related is that AirPort seems much more responsive. When I was running Panther, I’d have maybe 2 or 3 “bars” in my airport indicator… But now, same AirportExpress router, same Airport card, same PowerBook, I have 5 “bars” no matter where in my apartment I am. I have to wonder whether this new “sensitivity” is due to better software (more advanced, taking better advantage of the technology?) or just happenstance. Either way, thanks for the great review, I’m forwarding it to my dad, who’s been an Apple diehard since he switched from Atari in the 80s!

May 04, 10h

What do you mean the dictionary app doesn’t allow spelling errors?

Every word I try gives alternates. For example, enter in fonics and you get: phonics or tonics.

I’m doing this directly in the Dictionary app.

May 05, 03h

Jeff Hartman wrote: “One of my quick irriations is that I can no longer drag a file onto Photoshop and have it open. I have to now go to File -> Open.

All of my other apps work fine except Photoshop.”

Since you’ve done an archive and install, I would suggest re-installing Photoshop if you haven’t already tried it. Another option is to remove your preferences. I used to have the same problem in Panther once and deleting my preferences fixed it.

Spotlight is definitely slow at finding stuff on my Mac. I have a 320 GB external FireWire drive attached which is on 24/7. Apparently, Spotlight is not ready for such large amounts of data yet. It’s also annoying that it simply indexes _everything_ it can find, including mounted disk images. What’s the point in that? I installed QuickSilver as my app launcher, iTunes track notifier, web search utility, …

My greatest annoyance is that launchd doesn’t seem to want to run Postfix from start-up; I have to launch it manually. It worked fine until yesterday. No configuration changes have been made though… launchd is great but I will need some time to get used to it.

May 05, 04h

The first thing I noticed when I installed Tiger was the incredible, completely unexpected speed increase. Everything (with the finder in particular) felt so much snappier and more responsive. Then again, that could be more due to the fact that I formatted the HD before installing and less due to the OS itself. Still, it’s a nice unexpected benefit.

I think Spotlight is an excellent search tool - it’s managed to find documents that I didn’t even know existed, let alone which folder they were buried in. However, I do not think it makes a good application launcher, which is why I have switched its activating key combination to option-space, and have left Quicksilver’s command-space untouched.

I’ve also noticed that my AirPort range seems to have been magically extended. Whether this is real or not remains to be seen, but for now it appears that I can finally get decent throughout the house.

May 05, 08h

All of my other apps work fine except Photoshop.

Yes, I could set to have all .jpgs (for example) to open in Photoshop, but I prefer them to open in Preview - to save me the time of opening Photoshop just to look at it.

Anyone else experiencing this or am I a lone case? I did an “Archive and install”.

(shoot me an email if you’re up to it.) :)

Harvey Chapman says:
May 05, 09h

Thanks to those of you who gave IMAP feedback. After reading about some of the under-the-hood features, I broke down and picked up a copy of Tiger last night. I can’t wait to get home and install it.

Conánn,

I have been using my powerbook for the last 1.5 yrs to do FreeBSD and Linux system-level programming. I love that I have a UNIX system that “just works.” Before using Mac OSX, I used custom Linux machines. I used to set all of the keymaps, video card settings, compile every media player app, etc. It was fun at the time, but it quickly became tiring. I appreciate having a machine where everything is somewhat easy and intuitive (YMMV). My biggest problem is that I often have to use Mac Help because I can’t think simply enough to find things. My current job is a government contract and I am forced to use Win2K. This job has come to show me how much I have come to use, enjoy, and depend on features of my Mac (just try going a day without expose). As long as the positive Mac hardware/software trend continues, I will be a Mac user.

To sum up: Mac OS X makes the majority of my daily repetitive tasks easier, and consequently, I can focus more on my work.

A funny story:
On the first day that I received my 15” AlBook with a total of 3 hours of Mac experience, a co-worker of mine had to show me how to unmount a disk by dragging it to the trash. It felt rather embarrassing.

Conánn says:
May 05, 12h

What made you convert from XP to OS-X? I am asking because I worked on a mac for years before having to switch to winNT in 98, and may be getting a mac again.I could never understand the “Mac is better for designers” attitude but as a user what do you find better or preferable. (other then just looking cooler then an ugly PC)
Cheers

Conánn says:
May 06, 12h

Thx Harvey, Mac being unix is a big plus having worked on SGI machines for so long.

Chris says:
May 07, 07h

“My pedantic nature won’t let me let errors go by without correction. DVD stands for Digital Versatile Disc, not Digital Video Disc.”

My pedantic nautre won’t let me let errors go by without correction. Here’s the juice: “DVD was originally an initialism for “digital video disc”; some members of the DVD Forum believe that it should stand for “digital versatile disc”, to indicate its potential for non-video applications. Toshiba, which maintains the official DVD Forum site, adheres to the interpretation of “digital versatile disc.” The DVD Forum never reached a consensus on the matter, however, and so today the official name of the format is simply “DVD”; the letters do not “officially” stand for anything.” - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD

Khalif says:
May 27, 05h

As a recent convert to Apple over the last several months, I just wanted to say that I found your review extremely helpful. I only possess a G3 iMac myself, having purchased a used one to do my Graphic design and (X)HTML/CSS coding on, so I haven’t gone out to purchase Tiger yet;I want to get a newer Mac with a G5 chip (although I’ll take a G4, LOL!!) so that my computer won’t freakin’ crash while even trying to install Tiger. I say all of that to say that whenever I do purchase my new Mac and install Tiger, I’ll think of your honest thoughts on the OS to help with my oiwn implentation. Thanks man…..

May 30, 03h

Having read a few comments here on Mail being slower, I decided to have a look in my mail folders to see what was going on. Under Panther I had five or so UNIX style mbox files which were simply appended to as new mail arrived. This allowed me to use them with IMAP if necessary so that I could run a webmail application and so forth. It seems that as part of the upgrade process Mail has decomposed my mbox files into thousands of individual .emlx files, one for each e-mail!

It has also appended some XML to the bottom of each file for subject and so forth. The addition of this Mail only XML into the source at the bottom of each e-mail is also going to display in any other application I use, breaking the portability of my e-mail. Surely with Spotlight they could have held this in the Spotlight database, not in the file itself?

There’s no wonder a slowdown has occurred since obviously these files will not be stored contigously on the hard drive, and loading an message box will mean seeking out all these files wherever they may be on the hard drive rather than parsing one large file.

Andyk says:
June 02, 12h

Does that mean theres no chance of using them with IMAP now? Dammit… that was next on my to do list. :o(