Mobile version (Display Regular Site)

Veer, Marketing

July 22, 2004

A pleasant little surprise showed up in my mailbox this afternoon: summer goodies from Veer, the creative materials provider. This is a company that knows its market.

Veer’s catalogues have always been of a particularly high quality. Instead of a boring contact sheet with type and image samples, Veer puts its designers to work coming up with creative ways of displaying stock. You can see what a great job they do by browsing through the PDF back issues.

Veer's Very Big Summer Activity Book for Creatives

But they’ve really outdone themselves this time. July’s catalogue is a 101 page booklet called the “Very Big Summer Activity Book for Creatives”. It’s a bunch of puzzles, crosswords, and general fun little activities all wrapped in the Veer brand. And of course every single photo, typeface, and illustration used within the booklet is available at Veer.com.

With this kind of clever advertising and the general high quality of their catalogue, it’s no wonder I smile every time a piece from Veer shows up in the mail. It’s worth buying a throw-away font or photo just to get on their mailing list.

(I’m not receiving a cent for saying this, in case there was doubt; I’m just a happy customer.)

July 22, 04h

I really hate getting advertisements and catalogs in my mailbox. It’s the dead tree version of spam to me. It really gets on my nerves.

But your vivid description of the catalog you recently received has made me want to take a look at this catalog. Does Veer ship a catalog to you along with an order?

nat says:
July 22, 05h

my inbox is generally stacked with several months worth of promos, and veer’s is the only stuff i take time to look at regularly.
their website is a great resource too. they are one of the few companies that actually go out of their way to appeal to their audience, and because of that, they are the first place i look when i need photos or fonts.

i haven’t gotten the july catalog yet, but i have seen someone elses and was jealous that i didn’t have one. so strange to be looking forward to a vendor’s catalog.

Dale Simonson says:
July 22, 05h

You’re right, Scott, they usually just piss me off, too. But, Veer’s just seem to be getting better and better. And, no, you don’t have to buy anything to get them.

July 22, 06h

Someone told me today you can stop spam by coming to your mailbox by requesting at the post office that you don’t recieve any non first class mail (any mail not sent directly to you for the correct postage). It’s an interesting idea, but then of course you wouldn’t get all those cute coupons, cute designs, and cute sheets of paper you can scan for interesting yet unique textures. Try the texture of pizza cheese from all those pizza hut ads sometime.

Jennifer says:
July 22, 06h

I received that a few weeks ago! I’d forgotten that I was on their list, so it was a very pleasant surprise! I have yet to play with it, but it’s in my shoulder bag for inspiration and entertainment.

July 22, 07h

Yes. I get the Veer catalogs and they absolutely rule. It’s every bit as exciting to me to get the latest Veer catalog as it is to get the last issue of Stuff magazine. Seriously.

Jim Amos says:
July 22, 10h

Yeah I got the Victoria’s secret catalog too. Great stuff. Oh, you mean you’re talking about a _different_ catalog? Whoops.

July 23, 08h

I agree this is by far the best thing I’ve seen from Veer, so good infact, my wife stole, I mean, STOLE, it from me. Veer’s catalogs are just plain fun to look at and they are inspiring. If’s there’s ever a reason to buy fonts, Veer makes them clear. Since I don’t have the actual summer fun book right now, atleast the PDF will do. :)

JohnW says:
July 23, 10h

OK, final word, you do or do not need to purchase something from Veer to receive their catalogs?

I registered an account months ago and have yet to receieve any catalogs.

:-(

JohnW says:
July 24, 02h

Update, after contacting Veer they will be sending me the Summer Activity book.

Companies often survive by their customer service, and Veer’s is incredible. They even work on weekends, resolving this issue today - Saturday, within hours.

Fantismo’