Luxury Web Campaign

June 02, 2003

Gathering support for the yet-to-be-conceived campaign, update after Zeldman weighed in on the matter.

Anyone wishing to eventually participate in this still vague idea may reply to this post. A name and link to a contact form will do, or just fill out the e–mail field in the reply box (it won’t display publicly). You may also want to mention your specialty — coding, technical writing, translation, design, and so forth.

This is just for reference right now so you will be contacted eventually, but probably not immediately.

I am going to be seeking WaSP council on the matter once we’ve defined a clear strategy, so any WaSPers reading, don’t worry — you’ll be in on this too. We’re not doing it without your blessing.

update: consider comments on this topic closed. (I haven’t yet built that function into my MT templates, so the form remains)

Jeffrey Zeldman gives some very considered reasons why this campaign wouldn’t have had the effect we’d all hope for. What do we do instead? I don’t know yet.

zlog says:
June 02, 11h

I help in what ever way possible. Design, coding (PHP/MySQL).

June 02, 11h

I’d like to help primarily with markup/coding and technical writing. I don’t know what timeline you have in mind, but I’m going to be very busy after July with the whole grad school thing. My participation after then will likely have to be low.

Matt says:
June 03, 01h

Great idea, and already spreading the good word here. Visitors to my site who use IE (or spoof it) will see a random promotional message that links to Mozilla.org. Right now they all have to do with popups, like “Hate popups? Try Mozilla.” When converting people in the past that has been the point they identified most strongly with. Of course to be truly evil the messages should be in popups themselves, but I’m in a good mood this afternoon.
To really make a difference advocate Mozilla I recommend converting the people you konw. Carry it around on a CD and install it for them. Make it their default browser. Put the icon where the IE one used to be. Make it quick load and tweak the settings so it works the way you like it. Install the Orbit theme. Then show them how to use tabs. You’ll be surprised how many people take to it like a fish to water. Power users are usually harder to convert because they may be very used to specific features or shortcuts of a browser and the small diferences bug them.

Andreas says:
June 03, 03h

I can help with coding and translating (nl, fr, ja). Quite busy having exams the next few weeks, though.

June 03, 05h

Red pill please. Jack of all trades by nature, I’d like to help with: markup, translation (romanian, afrikaans), marketing ideas, and anything else needed.

June 03, 05h

I would be more than happy to help. I already have a ton of ideas but I keem them shtumm until I hear more. (contact: http://www.smithpaul.com/contact/)

Seamus says:
June 03, 06h

I would love to help even if it was just maintenances work. I can help with coding and flash. I have had an idea likes this for just Mozilla but I think this would be much better.

June 03, 06h

I would like to help out with promotion on sites I’m involved with once a streamlined process has been figured out. My specialty is… design.

I truly hope that this idea gets off the ground. I’d love to know that it’s in action.

Chester says:
June 03, 06h

Dave - we talked. Just wanted to let you know I will be out of town from June 27-July 5 (wedding and honeymoon), but we should be able to get rolling before then.

Mike says:
June 03, 07h

Sign me up, if it gets off the ground.

I dunno how we’ll pass Firebird off as “Luxury” though. ;)

Keith says:
June 03, 12h

Count me in - desing, coding, whatever…

Keith says:
June 03, 12h

Make that DESIGN – oh and subtract spelling from whatever. ;)

June 03, 12h

I can help, code, write, evangelize, anything. It’s a truly great idea and its time has come.

Andrew Dunning says:
June 04, 02h

I want to get my high school’s admin to switch to Firebird before the 17th (and I’ve already got all of friends to do so), so it would be great to have some information to go behind that.

I manage three websites, all of which I only recently inherited (and am rebuilding with web standards), and which are all non-profit (so I don’t have to worry about losing business or being fired).

I’ll do whatever I can to help, and I’ll have a ton of time on my hands after exams. I can write and edit, do some graphics work (not including drawing), code XHTML and CSS, test, communicate with third parties …

June 04, 02h

Craig says:
June 04, 06h

I’ll offer my time for any coding or writing/editing that needs to be done…

Brent says:
June 04, 08h

Will help in any way if I can. (code, maintenance, design)

June 04, 10h

I’m willing to help. I can do web design and I write technical manuals for the average user.

June 04, 12h

I’m interested in this effort. Not sure I can be of much help. Maybe.

–Asa